Tag: 夜上海论坛HO


Update on the latest in sports:


first_imgThe leagues made the announcement in a joint statement Monday night.The leagues said they made the decision “after consultation with infectious disease and public health experts.” They say the changes will be temporary and that media will still have access to players.COLLEGE BASKETBALL POLLKansas retains top spotUNDATED (AP) — Kansas maintained its grip on the No. 1 ranking in The Associated Press men’s college basketball poll. Premier Giuseppe Conte announces that games and travel will be banned nationwide through April 3. That includes games in the country’s top soccer division and preparatory events for the Tokyo Olympics. Serie A has not been canceled since World War II.Events around the world have been affected by the spreading virus. The BNP Paribas Open, set to begin this week in the California desert, won’t be played as scheduled after a case of the virus was confirmed in the Coachella Valley. The announcement to cancel the tennis tournament in Indian Wells, California, came after many players were already in the desert practicing. Qualifying matches were to begin Monday, with women’s main draw matches starting Wednesday and the men’s draw beginning Thursday.French police say the Champions League match between Paris Saint-Germain and Borussia Dortmund at Parc des Princes will be played without fans. It is the second of the four matches in the competition this week to be played in an empty stadium.The virus also forced the postponement of the Six Nations rugby match between France and Ireland. French sports minister Roxana Maracineanu says the decision was taken after discussions with tournament organizers and the French rugby federation. Sharks, Red Wings extend defensemenUNDATED (AP) — The San Jose Sharks have signed defenseman Radim Simek to a four-year contract extension.Simek was set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer before the Sharks locked him up with the new deal worth a reported $9 million. The 27-year-old Simek made his debut with the Sharks last season. He has three goals and 15 assists in 88 career games. In other NHL news:The Detroit Red Wings have signed defenseman Alex Biega to a one-year contract extension. Biega was acquired by the Red Wings in an Oct. 6 trade with Vancouver. He has three points — all assists — in 48 games with Detroit this season. March 9, 2020 LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Clippers have signed free-agent center Joakim Noah.The 35-year-old two-time All-Star played 42 games with Memphis last season after agreeing to a buyout with the New York Knicks. Noah averaged 7.1 points, 2.1 assists and 5.7 rebounds for the Grizzlies.He’s been limited to 124 games since the end of the 2014-15 season in Chicago, which selected him with the ninth overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft.Noah was the NBA defensive player of the year in 2014. NHL NEWS — The Detroit Lions have announced their coaching staff for the 2020 season, including five new hires. Tyrone McKenzie is taking over as linebackers coach, Tony Carter has been hired as a defensive assistant, Morris Henry and Tom Kanavy are new assistant strength and conditioning coaches, and Ty Warren joins the team as part of the William Clay Ford minority coaching assistantship program. Detroit also announced three promotions: Josh Schuler was moved to head strength and conditioning coach. Steve Gregory was promoted to defensive backs coach and Ben Johnson to tight ends coach.— The NFL players’ union has extended the deadline for its members to vote on a new labor agreement with the league to Saturday night. The 32 NFL owners approved the deal last month. The NFL Players Association executive board then rejected it 6-5, but the player reps voted 17-14 in favor. A simple majority of the union membership is required to accept or reject the contract that would run through the 2030 season.VIRUS OUTBREAK-LOCKER ROOMSNBA, MLB, NHL, MLS closing locker rooms amid virus scareMIAMI (AP) — The NBA, NHL, Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer are closing access to locker rooms and clubhouses to all non-essential personnel in response to the coronavirus crisis. MLB-NEWSVerlander doesn’t expect to be ready for opening dayWEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Houston ace Justin Verlander has a mild strain of a back muscle and said it would “probably take a miracle” for him to pitch in the Astros’ opener at Oakland on March 26.The reigning AL Cy Young Award winner was hurt on his second-to-last pitch in Sunday’s exhibition game against the New York Mets. He had an MRI on Monday and was diagnosed with a strained latissimus dorsi muscle. There is not a timetable for his return.Verlander had a similar lat injury during spring training in 2015 and did not make his season debut until June 13.  Elsewhere around major league training camps:— Clayton Kershaw will start the Los Angeles Dodgers’ opener against the visiting San Francisco Giants on March 26. Kershaw will extend his franchise record for opening day starts to nine. His streak of consecutive opening day starts was stopped last year when he began the season on the injured list with left shoulder inflammation and was replaced by Hyun-Jin Ryu.— The Milwaukee Brewers will be paying Christian Yelich until 2042, when the All-Star outfielder is 50 years old. Yelich’s $215 million, nine-year contract with the team calls for Brewers to defer $4 million each year from his $26 million annual salary from 2022-28. The 28-year-old outfielder is a two-time All-Star and a one-time Gold Glove winner.— The Cleveland Indians and All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor have stopped talking about a contract extension. Lindor told The Athletic that the sides suspended talks so he can focus on the upcoming season. Lindor will make $17.5 million this season and he’s under the team’s control through 2021. Lindor has said he wants to stay in Cleveland, but it’s going to be hard for the Indians to hold onto him._ The Jayhawks received all 65 first-place votes to remain at the top for a third straight week. The past two weeks they have been the unanimous choice ahead of Gonzaga and Dayton.Florida State climbed three spots to No. 4 after winning its first Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season title. This is FSU’s highest ranking since sitting at No. 2 in December 1972.West Virginia and Butler were the week’s new additions. Michigan and Penn State fell out of the poll.NBA-CLIPPERS-NOAHClippers sign free-agent Noah The leagues made the announcement in a joint statement Monday night.The leagues said they made the decision “after consultation with infectious disease and public health experts.” They say the changes will be temporary and that media will still have access to players.SPORTS-VIRUS-OUTBREAKMore sporting events affected by spread of virusUNDATED (AP) — All sports in Italy will be halted because of the virus outbreak. In Buffalo, he is reunited with coach Sean McDermott, who served as Carolina’s defensive coordinator during Norman’s first four NFL seasons.In other NFL news:— New York Giants tight end Rhett Ellison has retired after eight seasons in the NFL. Ellison played at Southern California before being selected in the fourth-round of the 2012 draft by the Vikings. He spent five years in Minnesota before joining the Giants as a free agent in 2017. His 2019 season was cut short due to a concussion suffered against the Jets on Nov. 10. — The Las Vegas Raiders have released linebacker Tahir Whitehead after two seasons as a starter. The move saves the Raiders more than $6 million on the salary cap for 2020 as the team looks to overhaul a struggling defense. Whitehead was originally signed to a three-year, $19 million deal as a free agent in 2018 and started all 32 games with the Raiders the past two seasons.— The Atlanta Falcons have bolstered a position of need by agreeing to a one-year contract extension with defensive end Steven Means. The 29-year-old Means started four games in 2018 and had 14 tackles and one sack. He missed the 2019 season after suffering an Achilles tendon injury during organized team activities. HORSE RACING-DRUGSTrainers, vets among more than two dozen chargedNEW YORK (AP) — The trainer of champion Maximum Security is among more than two dozen people charged in what authorities describe as a widespread international scheme to drug horses to make them race faster.The charges against horse trainers, veterinarians and others were detailed in four indictments unveiled Monday in Manhattan federal court. Among them is trainer Jason Servis, whose stable includes last year’s 3-year-old champion Maximum Security. He was charged with administering performance-enhancing drugs to that horse and others.Authorities say the drugs can cause horses to overexert themselves, leading to heart issues or death. Update on the latest in sports: Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-LOCKER ROOMSNBA, MLB, NHL, MLS closing locker rooms amid virus scareMIAMI (AP) — The NBA, NHL, Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer are closing access to locker rooms and clubhouses to all non-essential personnel in response to the coronavirus crisis. NFL-NEWSNorman reportedly agrees to deal with BillsBUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Two people with knowledge of the decision tell The Associated Press that veteran cornerback Josh Norman has agreed to sign a one-year contract with the Buffalo Bills.The people spoke to The AP on Monday on the condition of anonymity because the signing has not been announced. NFL Network first reported the deal.  Norman is an eighth-year player who spent the past four seasons in Washington before being released last month. He struggled to play to high expectations and was cut with one season left on a five-year $75 million contract he signed in free agency in 2016. Maximum Security crossed the finish line first at the 2019 Kentucky Derby before being disqualified for interference and has since won four of his five high-profile races.last_img read more


Federer moves on, Stephens loses again at Indian Wells


first_imgIt’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Industry: $10B will be bet on March Madness, most illegally Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Roger Federer returns a shot to Filip Krajinovic during the third round of the BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, Calif., Monday, March 12, 2018. (AP Photo/Crystal Chatham)INDIAN WELLS, Calif. — Roger Federer rolled past No. 25 seed Filip Krajinovic 6-2, 6-1 in pursuit of a record sixth BNP Paribas Open title on Monday, while Sloane Stephens remained mired in her post-U.S. Open slump.Federer improved to 65-5 since returning from a left knee injury last year with his third-round victory in a rare day match. The Swiss star’s young son, Lenny, watched from a box wearing a Superman cap.ADVERTISEMENT What he saw was his 36-year-old father overcome a shaky first set in which there were four breaks of serve. Federer hit a running forehand passing shot to break at love and take the set 6-2. Federer cruised to a 3-0 lead in the second and closed out the win in 58 minutes.“I was playing aggressive and feeling like he was not loving my slice,” said Federer, who owns the No. 1 ranking. “I was able to mix up my game nicely, make it difficult for him.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSerena and Venus Williams were to resume their rivalry in a third-round night match, the sisters’ earliest meeting since Venus won in the second round of the 1998 Australian Open. Serena owns a 17-11 advantage overall and has won eight of their last nine matches.Stephens lost to Daria Kasatkina of Russia 6-4, 6-3, and fell to 2-4 in matches this year. Sea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City “I mean, not going to be too down about it,” Stephens said. “There’s always next week and the week after.”Kasatkina has beaten all four of the current Grand Slam champions in the last year: French Open winner Jelena Ostapenko, Australian Open winner Caroline Wozniacki, Wimbledon winner Garbine Muguruza and now Stephens.Stephens, who won her first major at Flushing Meadows last fall, lost in the first rounds at the Australian Open and in Sydney before reaching the quarterfinals at Acapulco.Wozniacki outlasted Aliaksandra Sasnovich of Belarus 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 for her 31st career match win at Indian Wells, where she has played 12 straight years. She won in the desert in 2011 and has been runner-up twice.In other third-round matches, No. 7 Carolina Garcia of France beat 26th-seeded Daria Gavrilova of Australia 7-5, 6-4; No. 10 Angelique Kerber of Germany defeated No. 24 Elena Vesnina of Russia 7-5, 6-2; and American Danielle Collins continued her run with a 6-4, 6-4 win over fellow wild card Sofya Zhuk of Russia.ADVERTISEMENT Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “It definitely feels like a big deal because I have never gone this far in a tournament,” Collins said.On the men’s side, Borna Coric of Croatia upset No. 13 Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain 6-1, 6-3; Jeremy Chardy beat No. 20 Adrian Mannarino 7-5, 4-6, 6-1 in an all-French matchup; and No. 11 Pablo Carreno Busta of Spain defeated Daniil Medvedev of Russia 6-1, 7-5.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View commentslast_img read more


18 dangerous driving charges for man after ‘extraordinary pursuit’


first_imgA Donegal man, who led Gardai on an ‘extraordinary’ 22 kilometre high-speed pursuit faces prison, a District Court Judge has said.Danny McBride, from Carrigart, appeared at Letterkenny District Court charged with 18 counts of dangerous driving following the chase between Kilmacrennan and Carrigart, which saw the defendant drive through junctions with the lights off at high speed. Garda O’Riordan spotted a white Volkswagen Caddy near Abbey Village, Kilmacrennan and activated the lights and siren. The van came to a stop before speeding off.Inspector Sean Grant said the vehicle drove through a stop sign and travelled through Kilmacrennan village at a speed in excess of 90 km/h.“The vehicle was going up to 100km/h in a 50km/h zone and was on both sides of the road,” he said.The court heard how the vehicle entered a junction on the wrong side before rounding two left-hand bends ‘completely on the wrong sid of the road’.“As he drove up the road, he clipped ditches and was driving very erratically,” Inspector Grant said.“The vehicle swerved left and just about avoided a collision with an oncoming car. At Barnes Lower, Termon, it was all over the road. He drove over the blow of a blind hill on the wrong side.”Inspector Grant said the vehicle traveled through multiple town lands at speeds in excess of 120km/h.“The vehicle was bouncing and sparks were flying from under it,” he said. “Some debris came off and hit the windscreen of the patrol car.”After traveling on the road for around four miles, the driver of the vehicle turned off the lights and went through a junction without stopping.Inspector Grant detailed how the vehicle sped through Glen village at more than 100 km/ph before overtaking a taxi.On the main Carrigart to Creeslough road, the vehicle again broke a stop sign and turned the lights off.“More debris came off as he accelerated towards Carrigart,” Inspector Grant said.“He went down past the Garda station in Carrigart still on the wrong side of the road. He turned right, slammed on the brakes at Gortnabrade and abandoned the vehicle, getting out on and making off on foot.”Gardai followed McBride, who entered a house, but could not find him.  Gardai arrested McBride some time later and charged him with 18 counts of dangerous driving.“One bad idea followed another,” solicitor for McBride, Mr Frank Dorrian, said.“This man is 31 and has no previous. This was one continuous act. One vehicle was encountered and navigated. It was lucky that there was no accident.“The circumstances were reckless and without heed as he continued the endeavour. The basis for his departure was that he believed himself to be impaired as he had been drinking.“The deviation from his ordinary standard of behaviour is quite spectacular. He apologises as profoundly as he can. It was unacceptable on any level. He has read an account and finds it hard to believe that this was he.”Mr Dorrian submitted character references for McBride which, he said, ‘reflected a change in lifestyle and attitude’.Judge Paul Kelly said it was an ‘extraordinary pursuit’.“The display of driving and the distance makes it impossible to deal with in any way other than a custodial sentence,” Judge Kelly said.“He could have stopped at any time. I fail to understand why he didn’t. The car was bouncing off the round, sparks were flying, he was clipping ditches. Even when he stopped, he eluded pursuit.”Judge Kelly adjourned the case to June 21 next and ordered a probation report as he ‘explores possible alternatives’ in the case.18 dangerous driving charges for man after ‘extraordinary pursuit’ was last modified: April 21st, 2018 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CarrigartDanny McBrideJudge Paul KellykilmacrennanletterkennyLetterkenny District Courtlast_img read more