Tag: 上海各区gm资源汇总2020


History in the making


first_imgIn a national radio broadcast on May 8, 1945, President Harry S. Truman, breaking the news to war-weary Americans that the fighting in Germany had come to an end, delivered a poignant opening sentence: “This is a solemn and glorious hour.”Transcripts and recordings of the speech are available at the Truman Library and through countless sources on the Internet. But what those easy-to-find records miss is an important nugget of history.The second sentence of the speech, a remembrance of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who had died less than a month earlier, was a late addition.“I only wish that Franklin Roosevelt had lived to see this day,” Truman wrote under the opening line.President Harry S. Truman’s broadcast speech with notes announcing the surrender of Germany, May 8, 1945. Image courtesy of the José María Castañé CollectionThe document — the actual transcript Truman used for the broadcast, with his handwritten notes — is part of a collection of historical papers, manuscripts, books, photographs, and other media donated to the Harvard Library by the José María Castañé Foundation last year.The Castañé collection of about 3,000 items is keenly focused on major conflicts and transformative events of the 20th century, including the Russian Revolution, the two World Wars, the Spanish Civil War, and the Cold War.A small selection on display at the Houghton Library this summer served as an introduction.Leslie Morris, curator of modern books and manuscripts at Houghton Library, said that the aim of the exhibition is to give scholars interested in 20th-century history a hint of the potential for new research and teaching opportunities within the collection.“We’re not keeping it to ourselves,” said Morris. “We’re doing our best to publicize it in many different ways — the exhibition, the website, the Harvard catalogs — to integrate it within the collections and the teaching and research of the University and beyond.”The collection is vast in its store of individual pieces, including some 10,000 photographs, pages of document sets, and books. Also included are personal items from key leaders, such as Winston Churchill’s daily engagement cards, kept by his secretary, John Colville.Each item seems to shed light on a moment in history — some well-known, others more obscure. A page of minutes from a meeting of the last Russian Provisional Government captures a diatribe from Marxist revolutionary Leon Trotsky that helped spark the Bolshevik revolution. Albums of photos taken by German soldiers during World War II, including images of Adolf Hitler playing with a child and socializing with Benito Mussolini and Nazi leaders, are also included in the collection.One of the artifacts recently on display was a detailed diagram of the atomic bomb run on Hiroshima by the navigator of the Enola Gay, which shows the flight path of a second plane circling in reserve if the first pass failed.Truman’s speech marking the end of the war in Germany was also part of the introduction.“What I find evocative in this document is what you will not get from the tape of the transcript,” Morris said. “This shows he had the speech written and then he knew he had to say something about F.D.R.”The collection is the work of Spanish businessman and patron of the arts Castañé, who said his interest in history dates back to his childhood in Spain in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War and during World War II. Following the death of his son, in 1985, Castañé began to collect historical documents as an outlet for his grief. Soon he was on a quest to create a world-class collection.“It is not surprising that I have kept all along my life the vivid memories of my relatives’ discussions about the events of the Second World War,” Castañé said from his home in Madrid. “In fact this is the real background for my spontaneous decision almost a half-century later to initiate a collection of significant historical documents about the upheavals of the 20th century worldwide.”Over three decades Castañé created a collection of more than 7,000 pieces, many with multiple objects, boosting the actual number of items to the tens of thousands. In 2004 Castañé created a foundation to protect his holdings. Last October he donated a portion of the collection to the Harvard Library.Castañé said gifting the collection to the Harvard Library expands the possibilities for its use in research and teaching, because the University’s collections and online materials are an important source of information and point of access for people around the world.“This is a leap forward in terms of diffusion of the knowledge in the collection and its components,” he said. “Physically seeing these documents is important and should facilitate, though fellowships or other means to researchers and students, use of them in the proper investigations and their own research.”The library is in the process of cataloging the collection, but individual books and periodicals can be found in the Harvard Library portal HOLLIS by using a keyword search collection for José María Castañé Collection. Access can also be arranged in advance by contacting the Modern Books and Manuscripts Department.last_img read more


No tuberculosis outbreak in Dominica-Chief Medical Officer


first_img 39 Views   no discussions Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Johnson. Photo credit: GIS NewsChief Medical Officer Dr David Johnson wants the public to be vigilant when it comes to tuberculosis.Johnson said while there is NOT an outbreak of the disease in Dominica, there are cases.He says however the ministry of health must put measures in place to deal with the matter.“TB is something that is endemic in Dominica and also endemic in other countries. TB is very closely associated with HIV/AIDS and whenever there is a rise in HIV/AIDS there is a rise in TB,” he said.According to Johnson, the ministry of health is continuing to be vigilance as there are still several cases in Dominica.“We do not have an outbreak. The cases we have are under control but we just want to sensitize the people in that regard,” he added.Dominica Vibes News LocalNews No tuberculosis outbreak in Dominica-Chief Medical Officer by: – May 19, 2011last_img read more


Clarke defends Baggies record


first_imgSteve Clarke has expressed “deep regret” at his sacking by West Brom, claiming he had “unfinished business” at the Hawthorns. In a statement released by the League Managers Association, Clarke said: “I believe I have unfinished business at West Bromwich Albion Football Club so it is with deep regret that I was relieved of duties as head coach last night. “I could not have been better prepared for my first job in management after over 14 years coaching experience learning from some of the great managers in the modern era. It was certainly a challenge to succeed Roy Hodgson, having been appointed England manager, after he successfully guided the club to a 10th place finish in 2011/12, after only securing their Barclays Premier League status the year before. “It goes without saying that I was extremely proud to have built on that achievement by securing the club’s highest ever finish in the Barclays Premier League and for over 30 years in the top flight by finishing eighth in 2012/13. “Going into this season expectations were high, perhaps unrealistically so, but with it still being only our fourth consecutive season in the top flight, our primary objective had to be establishing our status in the Barclays Premier League. I was, and remain convinced, that we were well placed to achieve this aim. “It has been an honour to manage this club and I would like to thank the staff who have assisted me in every possible way as well as the fans who have been tremendous throughout. Now, I wish everyone connected with the club the very best for the future.” The prospect of Di Matteo or Jol taking over has not gone down well with West Brom supporters’ club secretary Alan Cleverley. Di Matteo guided West Brom into the top flight in 2010 but was relieved of his duties in February 2011, while ex-Albion player Jol was recently dismissed as manager of Fulham. Cleverley told Press Association Sport: “If it’s Jol, it is someone else’s cast-off, while Di Matteo has done it before and wasn’t a great success in the Premier League with us. Baggies head coach Clarke was dismissed on Saturday following a 1-0 Barclays Premier League defeat at Cardiff, the midlands outfit’s fourth straight loss, with Roberto Di Matteo and Martin Jol the early favourites to succeed him. Scotsman Clarke had just one full season in charge after a coaching career spent working under the likes of Jose Mourinho and Sir Bobby Robson and felt he deserved more time. ”I haven’t seen a name yet where I think to myself ‘yes, that would be fine’.” After losing his job at West Brom, Di Matteo had a spell in charge at Chelsea that lasted from March to November 2012, during which the Blues won the Champions League and the FA Cup. When it was put to him that Di Matteo had enjoyed considerable success since his stint with Albion, Cleverley said: ”He has, but I wonder why nobody else has gone for him since then? ”He might be favourite, but that one would surprise me more than anything.” Also being tipped as contenders are the likes of Molde boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, former Schalke manager Ralf Rangnick and Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes, another ex-West Brom player. Asked about Solskjaer – who, like Clarke was at West Brom, is in his first senior managerial job – Cleverley said: ”I wouldn’t want an inexperienced manager coming in. ”Derek McInnes could be interesting. But I’d really like someone who has managed at a high level, even if he comes in from abroad. ”If you are trying someone out at this level you might as well stay with Steve Clarke, because if they are new to it they could make a few mistakes and before you know it you are bottom of the league. ”If you get someone who has managed in the top leagues abroad they are going to be used to the pressure.” Clarke departed with West Brom 16th in the table, two points above the relegation zone and having won only seven of their 34 top-flight matches in 2013. The 50-year-old Scot – under whom Albion achieved their highest-ever Premier League finish of eighth last term – was appointed as their boss in the summer of 2012. His deal with the club was due to run out at the end of this season and only late last month West Brom announced they planned to hold contract talks with him in the new year. Cleverley said: ”Personally, I would have given him a little bit longer, but coming back from Cardiff on Saturday I would have said the coach was split about 50-50 on that. ”Some were for sacking him straight away. It really is a mixed one. ”I would have certainly seen it through to the end of the calendar year. ”It is not like we’re adrift at the bottom, and the guy took us to eighth last year, which is overachieving.” West Brom defender Steven Reid said the news of Clarke’s dismissal had created a sense of “complete shock” in the Albion dressing room, and that the players had to take responsibility for the way results had gone. Reid told the BBC’s Match of the Day 2 Extra: “The first half of last season, especially, showed what we are capable of. “To have such a disappointing 2013 – us as players have got to take responsibility for that. “It’s the same squad, if not stronger now, so we are really disappointed in how it has gone.” He added: “We are in one of those runs we are finding it difficult to get out of, but with the squad we’ve got, and the experience and the quality we have in the dressing room, we are more than confident we can get out of it. “If the manager goes, you look at yourself and whether you could have done any more as a squad. The first person you have got to look at is yourself and not the manager.” Baggies assistant Kevin Keen was placed on gardening leave at the same time as Clarke, and joint-assistant head coach Keith Downing will assume control of first-team affairs while the club search for a new permanent boss. Press Associationlast_img read more


Men’s basketball tops Oregon in last-second thriller


first_imgUSC completed its season sweep over the Oregon Ducks in a Thursday night thriller, winning by a final score of 72-70. Trailing early, the Trojans fought back to a 1-point deficit at halftime. The contest featured 12 ties and 15 lead changes.Sophomore guard Jonah Mathews led the Men of Troy with 20 points in their match against the Oregon Ducks, while he is only averaging 9 points per game. Alex Zhang | Daily TrojanUp 70-68 with 31 seconds to play, the Trojans (18-9, 9-5) had an opportunity to ice the victory with junior forward Chimezie Metu, who had been intentionally fouled at the line for two shots. Metu, a 75 percent free throw shooter in conference play, uncharacteristically missed both. Seconds later, the Ducks tied the game. It felt eerily like another blown game for the Trojans. After all, USC has lost several one-possession games this season, including two in the last two weeks against UCLA and Arizona State. Tonight, however, senior captain guard Jordan McLaughlin saved the win on USC’s last possession. Coming out of a timeout, McLaughlin dribbled across the court; then, off a ball screen he ran laterally from USC’s bench to the opposite sideline. Double-teamed and out of real estate, McLaughlin hooked a pass over his shoulder to Metu who stood wide open under the basket. Metu opted out of an alley-oop dunk and instead made a safer layup off the backboard. “I wasn’t gonna mess around with [a dunk] this time,” Metu said. Although head coach Andy Enfield did not exactly draw up a cross-court hook-pass for the final play of the game, he was happy with the result.“The play call was to put the ball in our best player’s hands,” Enfield said. “[McLaughlin] is unbelievable. When he threw it up, I said, ‘That looks good to me.’” For McLaughlin, the pass felt natural. “It felt good coming out of my hands,” he said.The win felt relieving, too. After three consecutive losses, every game matters immensely for the Trojans in their postseason ambitions. With this win, they remain in second place in the conference. However, the Trojans did not escape unscathed. With 7:57 to play in the second half, junior forward Bennie Boatwright, who is still nursing a foot injury, fell to the floor attempting to draw a charge. His left knee was banged badly, and he lay on the court for the team doctor to examine him until his teammates had to help carry him to the locker room. The severity of the injury remains unclear. Boatwright will likely have to undergo an MRI to determine the status of his knee. “[Boatwright] went out and played so hard,” Enfield said. “He was playing the right way. He looked great. Hopefully, it’s just a sprain.”Normally a leading scorer, Boatwright did not score tonight for 20 minutes. Nevertheless, he found other ways to contribute, including seven rebounds. Sophomore guard Jonah Mathews led the team in scoring with 20 points while Metu added 18 points and 10 rebounds. McLaughlin also finished with a double-double — 11 points and 11 assists. On Saturday night, the Trojans will host the Oregon State Beavers.“We will need to play with the same energy,” Enfield said. “Good down the stretch on defense and offense.”Oregon State is led by three double-digit scorers, including dynamic sophomore forward Tres Tinkles, who averages 18.5 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game. Although the Beavers rank 10th in the conference, they flew to Los Angeles on a two-game win streak.last_img read more