Facebook Previous articleGarda action needed to tackle ‘plague of scramblers’Next articleFree online counselling to help with Covid challenges Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Email Bunratty CastleLIMERICK Chamber has described the closure of Bunratty Castle and King John’s Castle from August 31 as a further blow to a Mid-West tourism sector already reeling from the collapse of international tourist arrivals.The chamber has urged Shannon Heritage to explore all available options to reverse this decision and to redouble efforts to win tourism for the region in the shoulder periods of this year.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “We need to declare Limerick is open for business right now and not the contrary,” said Limerick Chamber Chief Executive Officer, Dee Ryan.“King John’s Castle and Bunratty Castle are iconic visitor attractions not just for foreign travellers but also for domestic holidaymakers. As local tourism and associated businesses are working hard to return to a level of normality, the announcement that both attractions will be closing is an untimely and damaging blow to the sector and inadvertently sends the wrong message when we are trying hard to develop and support the tourism offering in the region,” Ms Ryan commented.Meanwhile, SIPTU members last week held a general meeting in the courtyard of King John’s Castle to discuss the threat of closure for the historic site and others operated by the Shannon Group.“Shannon Heritage operates cultural and historical sites from Galway to Limerick many of which, management has said, will not open for this season. It also plans to close Bunratty Folk Park and King John’s Castle on the 31st August. These plans are set to cause economic devastation to its employees and local businesses,” said SIPTU organiser Rachel Keane.“SIPTU representatives have written to Tourism Minister Catherine Martin, to intervene in this dispute. To date, we have not received a response,” she said.SIPTU activist Chris Rowley said their members are extremely worried about their future employment and how the approach of the Shannon Group will affect their livelihoods.“SIPTU members are at the forefront of the hospitality sector in Ireland and we are committed to the historic sites where many of us work.”According to SIPTU activist and seasonal worker Caroline O’Sullivan, this decision means that in 2020 and beyond she, and her colleagues, will be unable to earn money to pay their bills.“Many of the seasonal jobs at these historic sites provide workers with employment for up to ten months of the year,” she concluded. Linkedin NewsBusinessPoliticsCall for tourist sites to be kept openBy Alan Jacques – July 20, 2020 980 Advertisement Twitter Print WhatsApp
ABC NewsBy MAX GOLEMBO, ABC News(NEW YORK) — A new storm is moving into the Plains Tuesday and will bring a severe weather outbreak from the Gulf Coast to the Midwest. The biggest threat Tuesday will be damaging winds and large hail for Dallas, Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Winds could gust near 70 mph and produce major power outages. There is also a tornado threat from Houston all the way up to Chicago. The tornado threat is not huge but we can’t rule out the possibility of a few potential tornadoes.This storm system moves east on Wednesday with severe weather possible in the Southeast including Atlanta, Georgia, and Birmingham and Montgomery, Alabama. The biggest threat with these storms on Wednesday will be damaging winds, large hail and an isolated tornado cannot be ruled out.Elsewhere, more record and historic heat is expected in the Southwest over the next several days. On Tuesday morning, an Excessive Heat Warning has been issued for Arizona, Nevada and California. Several historic temperatures could be reached this week in Phoenix, Las Vegas and Tucson. In Las Vegas, temperatures could reach 100 degrees on Wednesday which has never happened before in April and would be the hottest April temperature ever recorded. In Phoenix, the all-time hottest April temperature is 105 degrees, which could potentially be reached on Wednesday and Thursday. In Tucson, the all-time hottest April temperature is 104 and that area could get close to the record on Thursday.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
29 Feb 2012 Charley Hull to miss Curtis Cup England’s world number nine, Charley Hull, will not be considered for the Curtis Cup team by the LGU after accepting an invitation to play in the first women’s Major of the year. The timing of the Kraft Nabisco Championship, which starts in California on March 29, means Charley will miss the Curtis Cup team trial at Nairn, Scotland, from March 23-25. Charley, like the other GB&I Curtis Cup squad members, had signed a player agreement to attend the trial. As a result of her change of plan, the LGU says she has made herself unavailable for selection and will not be considered for the biennial match against the USA. Charley, 15, (Woburn) is the English and Welsh strokeplay champion and a winner in January’s Harder Hall Invitational on Florida’s Orange Blossom Tour. Her successes and high ranking had led to her inclusion in the invitation to “five of the world’s leading amateurs” to play in the Kraft Nabisco. John Petrie, chief executive of England Golf commented: “While player agreements are important, the aim is to win the Curtis Cup. For a 15-year-old player, ranked ninth in the world, to be invited to play in one of golf’s Majors is an outstanding achievement and for Charley to be punished for her success makes no sense. “I hope the LGU has sufficient flexibility to revisit this decision and be able to select the best eight players for the team. The only winner here is the USA Curtis Cup team”. The LGU’s decision has prompted Twitter traffic with comments such as ‘baffled’, ‘amazed’ and ‘bureaucracy run mad’. England’s Karen Stupples, a former Women’s British Open champion, tweeted: “For what it’s worth Charley is making the right decision to play in Kraft, the experience gained from it is priceless.” Scotland’s Catriona Matthew, another past Open champion, said: “Ridiculous! Surely the LGU would want to have their best possible team. Charley would and should be a lock regardless.” Charley is playing in the Spanish championship this week. Her place in the GB&I Curtis Cup squad has been taken by the reserve, England international Georgia Hall, also 15, of Remedy Oak, Dorset. The Curtis Cup match will take place from June 8-10 at Nairn, Scotland. Image copyright Leaderboard Photography
2014-15 Santa Anita Winter Media PollHorse of the Meet: Shared BeliefOlder Horse: Shared BeliefOlder Filly/Mare: Warren’s VenedaGrass Horse: Finnegans WakeGrass Filly/Mare: Go West Marie3-Year-Old: Dortmund3-Year-Old-Filly: Stellar WindSprinter: MasochisticClaimer: NextdoorneighborTrainer: Jerry HollendorferJockey: Rafael BejaranoApprentice: Gonzalo NicolasRace: Robert B. Lewis StakesOwner: Hronis Racing, LLCAchievement: Shared Belief ARCADIA, Calif. (April 19, 2015)–Shared Belief, winner of three rich stakes at the Winter Meet including the Grade I Malibu at seven furlongs and the Grade I Santa Anita Handicap at a mile and a quarter, was unanimously named Horse of the Meet in Santa Anita’s annual Media Poll.The 4-year-old gelded son of Candy Ride trained by Jerry Hollendorfer also defeated Horse of the Year California Chrome in the Grade II San Antonio Invitational.Shared Belief earned $1,080,000 in winning the three races for ownersJungle Racing (Jim and Janet Rome of Los Angeles); Jerry Hollendorfer of Point Richmond, CA; George Todaro of Seattle; Alex Solis III of Glendale; and Jason Litt of Lexington, Ky.“He won two Grade I’s, at seven furlongs and a mile and a quarter, and in the other race, he beat the Horse of the Year, California Chrome,” pointed out Hollendorfer’s trusted assistant, Dan Ward. “It’s a most deserving honor and we appreciate it.”Shared Belief also was voted Outstanding Older Horse, and his three major stakes wins voted Achievement of the Meet.Unbeaten Santa Anita Derby winner Dortmund was a unanimous selection as Outstanding 3-Year-Old. Trained by Bob Baffert for owner Kaleem Shah, Dortmund came again in deep stretch after appearing to be beaten to win the Robert B. Lewis Stakes by a head over Firing Line in a thrilling battle that was named Race of the Meet.Stellar Wind, who won the Santa Ysabel Stakes and the Grade I Santa Anita Oaks in her two starts at Santa Anita after a private purchase by Hronis Racing LLC for trainer John Sadler, was named Outstanding 3-Year-Old Filly.Warren’s Veneda came into her own at the meet for Craig Lewis who trains the California-bred mare for owner/breeder Benjamin Warren. The 5-year-old chestnut daughter of Affirmative was named Outstanding Older Filly or Mare by posting authoritative victories in the Paseana Stakes, the Grade II Santa Maria Stakes and the Grade I Santa Margarita Stakes.Finnegans Wake, winner of the Grade II San Gabriel Stakes and the Grade II San Marcos Stakes, was voted top Grass Horse. He is trained by Peter Miller for Donegal Racing and Rockingham Ranch.Go West Marie, winner of Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Turf Sprint and the Irish O’Brien Stakes and second in the Grade III Las Cienegas Stakes, was named Outstanding Grass Filly or Mare for trainer Eddie Truman and owner Peter Redekop.Masochistic, winner of the Grade II Kona Gold Stakes for Los Pollos Hermanos Racing and Jay Em Ess Stable and trainer Ron Ellis, was Outstanding Sprinter.Rafael Bejarano, the runaway riding leader with 76, was named Outstanding Jockey, and Jerry Hollendorfer, who shaded Peter Miller for the crown, 34-33, by winning the sixth of nine races on the final day of meet, Outstanding Trainer.Gonzalo Nicolas, winner of seven races at the meet, was named Outstanding Apprentice jockey, while the Hronis brothers, Kosta and Peter, were Outstanding Owners by virtue of 13 victories, most of any owner at the meet.Nextdoorneighbor, who climbed from $8,000 to $14,000 to $20,000 down to $16,000 on the claiming ladder, the only four-time winner at the meet, was named Outstanding Claiming Horse for Peter Miller, who claimed the Florida-bred son of Lido Palace for owners Rockingham Ranch for $8,000 before capturing his four victories. Hollendorfer, Bejarano Earn Honors as Top Trainer and Jockey
In the Junior Division black defeated white 56-38. The player of the game for black was Erin Wuthrich and the player of the game for white was Connor Bowie.Red just got past green by a score of 39-38. Brooke Miles was the player of the game for red and the top player for green was McKenzie Gray. Blue defeated yellow 40-29. The top player for blue was Cieran Copley and getting the same nod for yellow was Jayden Deleon.- Advertisement -In Senior Girls play Motive 7 beat D Bauer 25-19. Jordan Stewart was recognized for his efforts for Motive 7 and the top player for D Bauer was Stacey Hansen.Sunlife defeated Jiffy Lube 37-30. The player of the game for Sunlife was Alyssa Webster and the player of the game for Jiffy Lube was Jayme Salinas.In the Senior Boys division Sunlife got past Motive 7 49-43. Tye Woodruff was the top player for Sunlife and getting the same nod for Motive 7 was Blake Hedges.Advertisement Jiffy Lube beat D Bauer 66-57. The player of the game for Jiffy Lube was Lucas Ziebart and Tyler Coulter was the top player for D Bauer.