Tag: 嘉定清河路敏敏足浴


Deaths raise Indonesia’s H5N1 fatality count to 97


first_imgJan 18, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – Indonesia’s health ministry said today that an 8-year-old boy died of H5N1 avian influenza, the same day the World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed that a 16-year-old Indonesian girl—previously confirmed one of the country’s H5N1 case-patients—died of the disease.The boy, who was from Tangerang, a suburb just west of Jakarta, died today after one day of treatment in the hospital, the ministry said in an e-mail statement, according to a Reuters report. If the boy’s illness and death are confirmed by the WHO he will be listed as Indonesia’s 119th case-patient and its 97th H5N1 fatality.He had a fever and was first diagnosed as having dengue by doctors at a local hospital, the boy’s father told an Indonesian news Web site, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported today. After the doctors determined the boy had the H5N1 virus, he was transferred to a hospital in Jakarta where he died a few hours later, the AFP report said.Sudhara Ningrum, of Indonesia’s bird flu center, told AFP that chickens had died suddenly near the boy’s house, but officials have not received a report on whether samples from the birds tested positive for the H5N1 virus. The health ministry said that the boy’s neighbor ran a chicken slaughterhouse and that it was investigating the source of the boy’s illness, according to Reuters.Also today, the WHO released a statement confirming the H5N1 death of a 16-year-old girl from Bekasi, another suburb of Jakarta. The girl died on Jan 15, the WHO reported. She was previously listed as Indonesia’s 117th case-patient, and her death has now been recorded as the country’s 96th fatality.The girl got sick on Dec 30 and was hospitalized 5 days later, according to previous reports. Chickens in her neighborhood had reportedly died 2 weeks before she became ill.Several of Indonesia’s recent H5N1 case-patients and deaths are from suburbs of Jakarta. The 8-year-old boy is the seventh person from the Jakarta suburb of Tangerang to die of the disease since October, according to the AFP report. Though health officials banned backyard poultry in Jakarta in early 2007, the rules and a plan for culling have been difficult to enforce.The girl and the boy are the second and third Indonesians to die of H5N1 infections in 2008. On Jan 14, the health ministry reported that a 32-year-old woman from Tangerang died of the disease on Jan 10.See also:Jan 18 WHO statementJan 11 CIDRAP News story “Woman’s illness raises Indonesia’s H5N1 total to 117”last_img read more


Injuries under the spotlight as Bundesliga continues


first_imgInjuries are likely to be under the spotlight this weekend as the Bundesliga stages its second round of matches since the COVID-19 stoppage, after last week’s restart produced a number of victims.Leaders Bayern Munich, chasing an eighth successive title, will host 13th-placed Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday evening. Borussia Dortmund, who are four points behind in second, visit sixth-placed VfL Wolfsburg in the afternoon.Last week’s restart was generally seen as having gone off successfully, albeit in a surreal atmosphere without spectators at any of the games.However, at least half a dozen players suffered injuries, highlighting concerns about plunging straight into competitive action after a two-month stoppage without warm-up matches.The most conspicuous was midfielder Giovanni Reyna, who was denied a first start for Borussia Dortmund by an injury during the warm-up when they faced Schalke 04 in the Ruhr derby.The 17-year-old US player was replaced by Thorgan Hazard who himself went off with an injury during the 4-0 win, while Schalke 04 pair Jean-Clair Todibo and Amine Harit also suffered injuries. Other casualties included Sebastian Rudy and Ihlas Bebou of Hoffenheim, Borussia Moechengladbach’s Marcus Thuram and Per Ciljan Skjelbred of Hertha Berlin.Although teams can now make five substitutions per match instead of the usual three, the upcoming flurry of fixtures leaves players even more vulnerable.The additional substitutions was a temporary measure brought in especially to deal with the unusual circumstances.A midweek round of matches next week means that teams will be playing three times in a 10-day period.“The players will be flat after 60 minutes,” warned Marc Lorenz, a midfielder with second tier Karlsruher, earlier this month. “Even the five substitutions that have been made won’t help. That’s when the fatigue will come and then the serious injuries.”“There are many who play for a new contract,” he added. “If one of them tears a cruciate ligament, no one will sign him. Health is priceless.”The next 10 days will show whether or not his fears are unfounded.Reuters/NAN.RelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance Club’s server collapses over ticket demand for first Bundesliga game in 11 years FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Tags: Bayern MunichBundesligaCOVID-19injuriesVfL Wolfsburglast_img read more